Saturday, August 18, 2007

Remember Saturdays?

Well. Wow!

After cartoons this morning, Starr Ann and I took coffee outside and watched the closing of some beautiful blue morning glories.

We hadn't checked the news yet. Didn't know the latest on the trapped Haitians, hadn't read any blog rants, weren't even aware of today's forecast. I told Starr Ann I felt like a slacker.

Starr Ann thought about that for a while and said, "Name some human behavior you consider endangered."

I wasn't quite sure what she meant and asked her to go first.

She said, "I think long attention spans are endangered."

Oh. I got it. "Okay, I'm gonna say guileless amusement."

"Naps with drool."

"Long walks where you end up lost."

"Sweet, hot, happy sex that has nothing to do with ego, status or possession."

I broke form and asked, "So, whatcha getting at, Starr Ann?"

Starr Ann finished her coffee, stood, and ran her fingertip over a half-curled-up morning glory. She said, "These are done for, you know. Different ones will open on this vine tomorrow morning, but the ones we've been sitting here having coffee with will be dead by tonight."

Suddenly, I couldn't take my eyes off the blossoms. Real quiet, I said, "I didn't realize."

Later on, Starr Ann got on her trusty steed Oatmeal and headed over to Jodie Diamond's place. Said not to wait up. I'd bet anything those two are about to do their part to rescue sweet, hot, happy sex from Starr Ann's endangered list.

Rachel Carson wrote: The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe around us, the less taste we shall have for destruction.

Think I'll spend this lovely Saturday afternoon doing my part to rescue long attention spans from the brink of extinction.